I gave one of my most popular recipes a few upgrades! Replace the flour with cornstarch to make a gluten-free version.
Slow Cooker Cha Cha Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large package boneless skinless chicken thighs approx 1.75lbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce Trader Joe’s Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce recommended
- 1 orange juiced
- 1/4 cup 100% apple juice or apple cider
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 green or red bell pepper sliced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place flour and salt in a large resealable bag.
- Add chicken and toss to coat. Heat oil in a skillet or slow cooker with a browning function.
- Shake excess flour from chicken and (in 2 batches) brown on both sides (it takes about 2 to 3 minutes per side).
- In slow cooker combine browned chicken, BBQ sauce, orange juice, apple juice, onion, bell pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Shred meat with a fork before serving.