From my latest cookbook – DASH Diet Meal Prep For Beginners. Naturally sweet dried cherries, buttery (yet crunchy) pine nuts and peppery scallions round out this colorful and nutritious side dish.
Quinoa is a true superfood but also a bit of an imposter. Often referred to as a grain – quinoa is technically a SEED! A gluten free seed that contains a full panel of amino acids – the building blocks of proteins. Naturally sweet dried cherries, buttery (yet crunchy) pine nuts and peppery scallions round out this colorful and nutritious side dish.
To toast pine nuts, place in a dry pan over medium-high heat. Watch carefully and warm until golden brown and toasty.
Quinoa Salad with Cherries
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions white and green parts
- In a medium saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat, place quinoa and salt. Add the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and transfer to a bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice and zest, cherries, pine nuts and scallions. Toss well to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.