This lightened up version of the Italian classic is quick cooking and crowd pleasing. Lower fat chicken sausage has all the flavor of regular pork sausage, only it’s higher in protein. Serve on rolls or over rice.
Chicken Sausage and Peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken sausage sliced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 bell peppers cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup basil chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add sausage, garlic, onions and peppers; season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes over medium high heat.
- Add Worcestershire, tomato paste, stock and thyme; continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes or until sausage is heated through and vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.