Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1 cup unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine maple syrup, honey, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, canola oil, apple butter, vanilla and soymilk. Heat over low heat for 2-3 minutes; whisk to combine- set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift flours, baking soda and salt.
- Add banana mixture to dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Make sure batter has cooled, then stir in half of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins, sprinkle additional choc chips on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from center.