A one-pan meal everyone will love. Use leftover chicken or try a variation with sautéed ground beef or mushrooms and zucchini for a vegetarian version. For easy cleanup or freezer meals, prepare this in a disposable tray. This recipe can also be made ahead, refrigerate or freeze before baking.
- 3 pounds bone-in skin-on split chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups salsa verde
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 8-inch tortillas (corn or flour)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan, season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until internal temp reaches 165F.
- Set aside to cool. Turn off oven.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, pick the meat off the bones; shred and transfer to a bowl.
- While the chicken is cooling, heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion and bell pepper.
- Season with remaining salt, pepper and ground cumin and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add chicken stock to pan, stir and remove any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- As the sauce thickens add cooked chicken and stir to combine.
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray, coat the bottom with ¼ cup of salsa verde and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Scoop 1/8 of the chicken mixture on to the center of a tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and roll up.
- Place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spread remaining salsa verde over the top of tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- TO freeze, allow to cool completely and cover with a layer of parchment paper and a second layer of aluminum foil.
- To reheat, go right from freezer to oven, bake at 375F covered for 45 minutes, remove foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes until cheese is melted.