It may not seem like it but this is the perfect summer recipe – it’s way too nice outside to stay in cooking every weeknight so this gives me more time to play with the kiddos. Serve on slider rolls, with rice, in quesadillas, or with a side of mac and cheese.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker
- 1 bulb fennel thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 3 medium sized pork tenderloins about 3 pounds, cut in half
- 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce Trader Joe’s brand recommended
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Place fennel and onion in the bottom of a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, season with salt and pepper.
- Then season pork with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear 3 pieces of the pork, cooking for about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to slow cooker on top of fennel and onion; repeat with remaining oil and pieces of pork.
- After removing pork, pour apple cider into hot skillet and cook for 2 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour apple cider mixture into slow cooker, followed by BBQ sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- After 7 hours remove lid and shred pork using 2 forks.
- Add more BBQ sauce if desired. Cover and cook for one hour more (*see tip).