Makes 5, 1 1/3 cup for a meal or 10, 2/3 cup servings as a side dish
Note: Make roasted sweet potatoes the night before and store in the refrigerator for super easy preparation
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
2 cups roasted sweet potato fries, diced (recipe follows)
1 can (15 oz) organic black beans, no added salt (rinsed and drained)
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup diced red bell pepper
3 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
½ cup crumbled low fat feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Rinse and drain quinoa well.
2) In a saucepan, combine quinoa, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Once quinoa is cooked, transfer to a large bowl, stir in 1 Tbsp of olive oil and set aside to cool.
3) In a separate bowl combine sweet potato, black beans, corn, bell pepper, scallion and parsley- toss to combine.
4) Combine sweet potato mixture with quinoa; add remaining oil, lemon juice, and feta – season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Sweet Potato Fries:
1) Preheat oven to 425°F
2) Cut 2 medium sweet potatoes into ½ inch thick fries
3) Lay on a sheet pan
4) Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper
5) Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown- turning once half way through roasting
Nutrition Info Per Serving:
Total Fat: 10 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Total Carbohydrate: 35 grams
Protein: 11 grams
Sodium: 96 milligrams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Fiber: 10.5 gramsPrint This Post