Inspired by this recipe for zucchini bread, the handheld version is just as tasty and a wonderful way to add vegetables to your diet. Make these healthy muffins for breakfast or a snack to take along to work or camp this summer.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar canola oil and applesauce; mix on low until combined.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Slowly add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the batter evenly in the muffin pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.