A fun vegetarian spin on tuna or chicken salad bursting with flavor and plenty of protein, plus something those other salads lack – 7 grams of fiber per serving! There are plenty of ways to easily tweak this recipe even further to accommodate other dietary preferences. Use vegan mayo for a totally plant-based version or serve with gluten free bread or crackers. One of the most popular recipes from the Healthy, Quick + Easy College Cookbook.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pat chickpeas dry by rubbing them between 2 pieces of paper towel on a flat surface.This will also loosen some of the skins, toss those in the trash – this will make the chickpeas easier to mash.
- Transfer chickpeas to a medium bowl and gently mash using a form or potato masher.
- Add mayonnaise, dill, red onion, celery, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Gently mix to combine.
- Serve with bread or crackers. Store leftovers in a container in the fridge for up to 1 week.