- 1 cup brown rice dry
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 packets Latin spice mix seasoning Goya Sazon recommended
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red chili sauce such as Sriracha Chili Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups frozen green peas
- ½ cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a 3-quart saucepan or dutch oven, combine rice and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender (about 30-35 minutes).
- In a small bowl combine canola oil, spice mix, lemon juice, chili sauce and salt; stir to combine and set aside.
- When the rice is cooked, add peas, canola oil mixture and cheese.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add scallion and cilantro, toss gently and serve.