This family can’t get enough strawberries! Here is a fantastic way to enjoy 2 seasonal delights – for a lot less fat and calories.
Lightened Up Strawberry Scones with Rhubarb Glaze
For the scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar or Vanilla-Cardamom Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter diced
- ½ to ¾ cup half & half
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons Rhubarb Syrup
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon half & half or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; whisk to combine.
- Using a pastry cutter work the butter into the flour until it’s the size of small peas and distributed throughout the dry ingredients.
- Add ½ cup of half and half and strawberries mix gently with clean hands, being careful not to over mix; add additional tablespoons of half & half if needed until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and roll gently into a large rectangle. Using a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut into squares then triangles.
- Transfer pieces to a baking sheet and brush with remaining half & half.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until they just begin to turn golden on the bottom.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While scones are cooling, prepare the glaze. Whisk rhubarb syrup, sugar and half and half until smooth.
- Drizzle over cooled scones and allow 15 minutes to set before serving.