It’s the most wonderful (football) time of the year and whether you are a HUGE football fan (like me) or not, it’s hard not to get in on the Super Bowl festivities. This sacred Sunday is also famous for high calorie foods and lots of booze. Here are some tips and swaps to make your Super Bowl Sunday a little less super sized.
Super Bowl festivities are usually an all-day affair. Eat balanced meals leading up to the game. When setting up your super spread, always have a bunch of fresh veggies cut and ready to grab – you will be surprised how many people take them when offered the chance – kids included. TOUCHDOWN!
- Buffalo Chicken Bites
Delightfully spicy and crispy nibbles of boneless, skinless chicken thighs take the place of greasy, fried wings. It’s a common misconception that dark meat poultry is unhealthy. The dark meat is rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fats. Just chop, air fry and toss in buffalo sauce.
- Fizzy Hydration
Adult beverages are a big part of game day and while alternating each brew with a glass of water is a smart strategy, it can feel like a bit of a buzz kill. Instead opt for a crafted flavored seltzer or sip some kombucha for tummy-pleasing probiotics.
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Air Fryer
- 4 pieces part-skim mozzarella sticks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
- Place the flour, egg and mixed breadcrumbs in 3 separate bowls.
- Cut the cheese sticks in half then dredge pieces in the flour, then egg, and finally the breadcrumbs; set pieces aside. When all pieces have been coated, place on a plate and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F. Open the air fryer and place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the basket. Place the mozzarella sticks on top.
- Cookfor 5 to 6 minutes, until crisp and golden. Remove from basket and set aside. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.