In a time of fast-paced lifestyles and busy schedules, there has been a growing appreciation for good old breakfast. Simple morning meals and leisurely weekend brunches are a welcome friend to the hungry foodie.
For satisfying that morning sweet tooth, how about a yummy stack of French toast? Traditionally served with a generous heaping of maple syrup, powdered sugar, and whipped cream, there are plenty of ways to combat the guilt of this carb-laden dish.
Here are a few tips and tricks for lightening up the traditional French toast recipe – plus a recipe that proves how delish a lighter version can be.
- Swap out white bread for a whole grain option
- Use low-fat milk, soy milk or almond milk
- Add spices for flavor without the extra sugar: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, or pumpkin pie spice
- Add fresh fruit for extra vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- Try Greek yogurt instead of whipped cream
- Make Angelo Family French Toast …. ASAP!